Thursday, October 6, 2011

Reflecting on the start of training

Probably the most important thing to my Master is obedience. When he tells me to do something; he expects me to do it. It has always been this way since day one.

I remember early in my relationship with my Master he wanted me to shave his face one day. I was petrified of this notion. I was terrified that I was going to cut my Master’s face. It probably took me 30 minutes to shave his face and he later described it as a terrible shave. But perfection with shaving his face was not the purpose of the exercise.

The purpose of the exercise was to comply with his wishes even though it made me uncomfortable. The purpose was to show me that the goal was completion and not absolute perfection. Perfection can come with practice, but before perfection can be met I would first have to try.

I was afraid of stepping outside of my little box and learning to do new things to some degree I was stuck in a role. From my time with my former master I was afraid of punishment. What my Master showed me by this exercise is I was not going to get punished for trying and it was his job to help me find perfection.

Through little exercises like this, I learnt to obey and trust my Master. I learnt that I didn’t have to have reservations about obeying because of a fear of punishment if I lacked perfection.

-emma

No comments:

Post a Comment