Saturday, October 22, 2011

Drop Biscuits



One of my favorite bread items to make in a pinch is drop biscuits because they are very hard to mess up. I do not really think of drop biscuits for breakfast. I think of drop biscuits more as a dinner item. It is a nice pairing with a chili or pasta.

My Master loves these biscuits. He has been known to eat several at one sitting. He has also come in the kitchen a few moments ahead of me and kidnapped them from the oven. They are delicious fresh from the oven, but they are also good cooled. I have made these for food days at our respective work places.

The recipe for drop biscuits

You will need.
2 cups flour
2 TBLS baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/3 butter flavored shortening
1 cup reduced fat buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Mix in a large bowl flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Once blended cut in shortening, I do not have any fancy tools for this. I use a fork. One the mixture is crumbly stir in buttermilk until blended.

On a greased cookie sheet, drop the biscuits using evenly apart by heaping tablespoons. This should make about 12 biscuits.

Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

-emma

No comments:

Post a Comment