Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Salt Mines

I have a love/ hate relationship with my job and employment in general. My job is an exercise in dealing with people who are all trying to push and claw their way to the top. It is sort of ruthless and now, like many companies, my company is downsizing. To make matters more amusing, I helped with the workflow consolidation to make the layoffs happen.

There are days when I think my boss is a jerk and days when I wish HR would actually do something about the person at my office who rants over anything and everything. She has called everyone she works with a ‘stupid retard’ in one of her rants at least once. No matter how many times it is reported to our supervisor, nothing changes. I have become the latest victim of her ranting and I am not too pleased. The end result for me is I am no longer offering my assistance on any process to her. I really hope she enjoyed her extra long day today. I know I sure enjoyed getting off on time.

I did mention to my supervisor the ranting nonsense so we will see what comes of it. My Master thinks I should address the issue with HR since management isn’t handling it. Her ranting did cause a temp to quit and many other people to ask to be transferred out of her area (including me), so it is having a negative impact on the company.

Whenever I run into a situation like this my instinct isn’t to throw a fit with HR and my boss’s boss. I am a quitter and I apt to walk away from this job to somewhere that I feel valued. My Master wants me to ride out this storm and deal with it. He wants me to ride it out for my own personal growth.

He also noted that everyone hates their job. Work is a challenge and it is not meant to be fun. Every day I feel like I am walking into a mine that could collapse on me at anytime. It is times like this when I wish for a simpler life, like that of a housewife, but that is not in cards for me.

So tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will awake to face another day at the salt mines. Maybe if the whole thing collapses I can collect unemployment for a couple of months.

-emma

No comments:

Post a Comment