Saturday, May 21, 2011

In the pursuit of "I can"



One thing my Master has never accepted for an excuse was the blanket I can’t response. When I met my former Master, I couldn’t cook to save my life. I would try and fail. My former Master, in a not so patient manner, helped me to progress in my cooking skills. After I left my former Master, my cooking skills were basic but I was able to make a decent and edible meal to his tastes.

Master Howard has a passion for cooking, so one area that we are constantly growing in is the area of cooking. I have had to adapt and create new recipes all throughout our relationship. Now, I am a pretty good cook. If I cannot cook something to perfection, then we will try and try again until I get it. Sometimes, it is just a matter of trial and error with different recipes.

Case in point, I have been working on perfecting my banana bread recipe for years. The first attempt was interesting and while I was in college. I used yellow bananas so it was rather springy. After that I learnt to use bananas that were black. I thought my banana bread recipe was okay, but it didn’t have the perfection my Master strived for.

Randomly last year, I made banana bread with a new recipe that called for plain yogurt. I thought it was weird but it struck my curiosity. This banana bread had the perfection my Master was looking for. It took me years to find the right recipe and hone my skills on selecting the correct ingredients before I was able to make the perfect banana bread. This illustrates to me that there should never be an “I can’t” from a slave, because as long as I set my mind to it I can achieve my goal even if it takes years.

Perfection is not found over night. It takes a lifetime to achieve.

-emma

1 comment:

  1. You can throw one or two odd bananas that are starting to turn black into the freezer instead of throwing them out or having to use them that day. That way you can use them when you have enough for bread, smoothies, milkshakes, and stuff. Just an idea.

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete