Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It was a hot one

It has been ridiculously hot in Oklahoma over the past month; in fact it was our hottest summer in history. We had a number of 100 plus degree days in a row. When it finally rained last week I walked outside and my glasses fogged up.

The heat did kill my garden for the most part. It was disappointing, but when temperatures were going above 110 and we had voluntary water rationing there was not much I could do. I would water the plants in the evening after the sun went down but even through the night the temperatures remained in the 90s. I think the heat may have also killed two of our mature trees. I am hoping they will come back next year but I have my doubts. Needless to say our grass is rather brown.

In the part of Oklahoma I live in it is typically pretty green. The ditches are green without even watering. Now everything is brown. It reminds me of home in Kansas and makes me a little homesick. Although the heat was oppressive the golden brown ditches and fields is pretty to me.

I remember as a teenager living in the plains of Kansas and everything was flat. You could see for miles. There would be nothing but fields of brown overgrown grasses. It was so pretty. I used to enjoy watching the sunset and rise over the golden fields.

Sometimes, I miss the little corner of Kansas I used to live in.

-emma

1 comment:

  1. You've got too much sun, I've got too much rain killing my veggies. After living in Texas (primarily) and Oklahoma I never thought I'd say I miss the heat, but darned if I don't. I wore fleece the other day...in August..unreal.
    -mamabear

    ReplyDelete