Monday, June 20, 2011

My current stressors

My life outside of my relationship with my Master is not doing well. I found out that my grandmother is ill and we went up to visit her over the weekend. It was an 8 hour drive to see her. We left on Friday after work and got there at 4 am. We then slept for a few hours before heading over to see my grandmother.

She is having mobility issues and is mildly depressed. Her blood counts came back bad today when she was at the doctor. I do not know how well she will be doing for how long. That is why we made the trip to see her and spend time with her. I do not know if I will have another chance to see my grandmother alive.

Then at my work we are turning into a call center from a back office. I did call center work for 3 years of my life and it was stressful for me. I had trouble dealing with stress of that and focusing on my Master. Today, after visiting my ailing grandmother all weekend I found out I get to be on the phone for my entire 8 hour shift. Then I found out there was no one to cover my work and the senior manager at my office told my supervisor to just have me do my normal daily work after my 8 hour shift on the phone.

After having a stressful weekend and 8 hours on the phone talking to angry customers, I had little interest in working another 8 hours to do my daily work. Therefore, I went home after my shift was scheduled to end. I also packed up all of my personal items on my desk to make quitting easier for me.

My Master is supportive of me quitting my job in favor of finding something that is more suitable for my skill set and desired stress level. If I had the monetary means to I would love to stay home, but that is simply not a possibility.

My one reservation with telling my employer where they can shove it is the benefits are through my work and my benefits are better than the work offered at my Master’s work. It’s not a big deal in less one of us becomes ill then we will get stuck with a large bill. We would also have to pay for our prescription medicine out of pocket whereas now we pay co-pay. My Master assured me it will be okay as long as we do not get sick.

Sometimes, I wish I didn’t have to deal with all of this. Sometimes, I wish I just had a clear path of what to do, but nothing in life has ever been that black and white.

-emma

No comments:

Post a Comment